Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mountains, rain, and an Irishman

So my plan failed. 
Second day, the rain was so hard and i was so tired I ended up doing 60 miles. 
However, I met Mick, an Irishman who is biking the transamerica from San francisco to Boston. He is 58, and this is his retirement gift to himself. Since I'm not in a hurry while I'm with someone, we're going to ride together for the next few days. 
Due to the rain and fatigue, we took a short day yesterday and went to Damascus, which is basically the Mecca of the AT. We stayed in a hostel, went out to the local brewery, listened to some live music, and had a fantastic time!
Today, the weather was really humid but the rain didn't start for real - we just had a very halfhearted drizzle near the end. Since we were nearing our destination with time to spare, we stopped at a winery and did some tasting. 
We also finished up with the western Appalachians! We have a huge mountain in about 150 miles, but until (and after) that it's all flat or downhill. Yay!

Life is much better with a travel partner, and I'm again enjoying the trip rather than trying to blast through it. 

Love,
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment