Monday, August 11, 2014

Malcolm doesn't approve of motels

It rained until 10:30, so Mick and I left around 11 to begin our ride. Unfortunately, Mick's front dérailleur cable broke yesterday, so he had been in his granny gear since then. We got to the first bike shop and it was closed, so we biked to the next one, and got it fixed. He was ecstatic! I couldn't imagine being in my smallest chain ring for a day and a half. He took to drafting behind me during moderate downhills as he would spin out past 16 mph, and couldn't go any faster than that. 

I am now sitting in a motel room with Mick, drinking steel reserve and eating Chinese food. The beer and the food is great, but the motel is horrid. I'd much rather be sitting outside than in this expensive, stuffy room. 
However, Christiansburg, VA had no other options, so here we are! I'm giving the bed a strange look, I haven't slept in one of those since Missouri, and before that since before the trip started. 

The ride today was beautiful! After the rain ended, it stayed overcast and cool all day, which is a blessing. I'd rather get that than the 80 and 90 degree weather that should be occurring. 
Virginia is especially verdant after all the rain we have been getting - it feels almost tropical at times. 

There are 12 adventure cycling maps, and today marks he beginning of the last one! 368 miles to Yorktown from here, and we plan on doing 50 and 60 mile days until we split up, at which point I shall blast to the coast and be done around the 17th or 18th!

Love,
Malcolm 



No comments:

Post a Comment