Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hi everyone!
Today was absolutely ideal. Back roads, cloud cover, great scenery, and vanishingly small levels of traffic all combined into a great ride. Tomorrow we are biking to Vesuvius, which marks the beginning of a 4 mile 2000' ascent where we join the blue ridge parkway for about 27 miles, before zooming all the way back down to near sea level. 

Checking the map today, I was astonished to realize that I end in 5 days. I should arrive in Yorktown sometime Sunday the 17th, unless the fates conspire against me. 

Tonight, Mick and I are staying behind a rafting shop in Buchanan. The view from the riverside is superb. Trees are everywhere, and it's making me excited for the fall leaves already!

I just finished yet another book - I might add a book list of all I've read during this trip, along with some praise/criticism in case any of you are feeling in need of a new book or two (or twenty, I've been quite voracious). 

Alas, the flip side of the coin with traveling wih someone is hat I don't chat to as many random strangers or have sketchy camping experiences (Mick, being 58, is doing a great job at curtailing my dirtbag instincts - I would have knocked on random doors or slept in a ditch yesterday, but instead he convinced me a motel was the right idea).
Thus, these posts have turned more into stream of consciousness updates, and I hope they remain entertaining. 

Oh, I do have a good one. I was sheltering under a gazebo the day I met Mick, and there was a man there taking a break from his drive to West Virginia. We got to talking, and amongst all the typical questions, he asked me very genuinely if most bikers were gay. After I answered that being a biker didn't necessarily make you gay, I asked him why he was wondering that. Apparently, that's what he has been hearing from people. 
Curious. 

Anyways, it's bedtime soon!

Love,
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment