Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ground Rush

Where did the time go? 
All I have is a easy 50 mile ride to Yorktown tomorrow, and that's it. 

Mick was telling me that in the military, when he used to parachute, he experienced a phenomenon called ground rush. When parachuting, descending feels nice and slow, but upon reaching the last 50 meters, the ground suddenly seems to rush up at you incredibly fast, even if your velocity has been constant the whole time. 
This also applies well to bike touring. I was in the middle of the country, plodding along, and suddenly, I'm almost done. It's a very peculiar feeling. 

Mick and I parted ways yesterday morning, and he made it to DC today! Biking alone feels strange after spending almost a week with him, but it has been a nice relaxing way to finish up the trip. The countryside has been beautiful in a peaceful sort of way, the weather a bit chilly (the cold woke me up in the middle of the night for the first time since Colorado), and the back roads deserted. The prefect way to ease out of this trip. 

Tonight, I am spending the night in a Methodist church, and since they have church camp today, it is full of small children, life, and hot dogs! It's a fantastic way to wrap up my last night on the road. 
Everybody is incredibly kind, and I feel right at home! I feel incredibly blessed by the kindness I continue to encounter every single day while on this trip. 

Am I going to be able to sleep tonight? I don't know. Facing real life again will be a struggle. 

Love,
Slightly melancholic Malcolm


No comments:

Post a Comment