Wednesday, July 23, 2014

More Kansas!

Hello hello from the Immanuel Lutheran church in Walnut, KS. Today has been great. 
After leaving eureka this morning, I biked around 40 miles in the beautiful countryside, when suddenly, the skies went dark. Within 30 seconds, black thunderclouds appeared from over the horizon and blanketed the sun. In my immortal wisdom, instead of "roughing it out" like I have been, I decided to stop at the conveniently placed farmhouse on the side of the road and ask if I could weather the storm there. Luckily, Steven and his mother Karen were in, and hey let me in to their wonderful home, fed me, and showed me around he house (it was awesome). Since the storm showed no signs of abating, and I didn't feel like biking in 60 mile winds, thunder, and hail, they were mind enough to drive me to this church, where I was planning on spending the night. 
Upon arrival, I met pastor Jay, and proceeded to have one of the best evenings I have had so far. Jay is 29, made us a delicious chicken/potato/cheese/cream/bread crumb dish of amazingness, and then we spent the evening talking about lord of the rings, religion, star wars, game of thrones, fiction novels, video games, belgian beer, meteorology, science, canning and growing your own food, and many other topics. 
It was very relaxing and enjoyable. 
Eastern Kansas really is a wonderful place. The people are amazingly kind, and the landscape is simple yet unassumingly beautiful  It's great how everybody here hates western Kansas too, it's a great thing to bond over. 

Love, 
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment