Sunday, July 27, 2014

Birthday Parties, Breweries, and Bottle Cows

Hi everyone! I hope you find today's post enjoyable. First, here's a few silly pictures, and then I'm going to talk about the past few days, which have been absolutely fantastic!
A sign in Frisco, Colorado

One of the first things I saw in Missouri. So many innuendos.
 In Fair Grove, MO, I spent a night through Warm Showers with Jay and Kelly Wood. That evening, their friends Jana and Anthony were having a birthday party for their son, Alex. Since they still wanted to provide me with a place to stay, they suggested I come with them to the party, and it was absolutely fantastic! Boy, have I forgotten how angsty 15 year olds are, though. As a matter of great personal pride, none of the boys had over two burgers, while I had four. Biking > adolescence when it comes to appetite.
Jay showed me around his metalworking shop and helped me fix one of my panniers, while Kelly gave me advice for post-graduate career options! They were wonderful hosts, and I'm really glad I got to meet and spend time with them!
Thanks again, Jay and Kelly
While hanging out at their house, they suggested I check out the Piney River Brewery, which was about 55 miles away, about 5 miles from the town I was planning on staying at the next evening. Boy was that a great idea.
The brewery is located about 4 miles away from the main road, and with about a mile to go, the tarmac ends and is replaced by gravel. Undeterred, I persevered down the road, regardless of the surprised looks I got from the trucks that kept passing me.
Once I arrived, the party immediately started. Everyone was really surprised that I biked over, none more than Joleene, one of the co-owners. She was kind enough to give me a complementary taster tray, and they were all amazing!

Thanks Joleene!
 Just to make all of you beer aficionados out there jealous (I'm talking to you, SUOC), their Float Trip Ale won the 2014 Beer World Cup gold award for best american style wheat beer. Also, they've only been around since 2010, and have already won several awards besides that one. I'll be keeping my eye open for them in the future. If you want to check our their website, go here.
.
Plus, they have really good artwork
One of their employees, Jonathan, was kind enough to show me their brewing area downstairs!
Why do brewers always have amazing beards?
I had an absolutely fantastic time! Everyone there was wonderful, kind, and couldn't get enough of hearing about my trip. Apparently I'm the first transamerica trail biker to take the time to bike down, and Joleene and Brian (the owners) were super excited about it! Everyone kept offering to buy me drinks! I need to go out wearing bike shorts more. Their tap room is located in an old barn that's open from 2 to 7 on Saturdays, and there's live music, a bunch of locals, and an amazing atmosphere!
Woops, Malcolm looks a bit drunk.
While at the brewery, I met Rock, who's working at one of the farms around town. he kindly invited me to his place, where I'm currently spending my rest day! So far today, I have bottle-fed a calf, fed the pigs, herded some cows, and put up a bunch of fencing. It's been a great rest day.
Baby cows can't get enough breakfast
Unfortunately, you missed the part where they saw us and all came running out of the trees about 30 seconds before I took this picture.

Om nom nom. Bananas, Oranges, nothing withstands their mighty jaws.

My steed for the day. Gertrude, you're dead to me.
Missouri has been more than amazing, and I'm going to be really sad to leave it!
While Kansas was an emotional rollercoaster, Missouri is a physical one. None of the hills are that tall, but boy are they steep. I love it. It's probably been the most fun riding I've had all trip! The Ozarks are gorgeous, the people are amazingly kind, and I've heard the rivers are super fun to float down!

Love,
Farmer Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment