Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Out of Missouri, into Illinois, and almost out of Illinois

Hello hello from the Bike Surgeon in Carbondale, IL. 
I crossed the Mississippi river yesterday, which signaled the end of Missouri, and the beginning of Illinois! Right across the river, Chester is the first town you enter. It is the home of Popaye, so there are statues of him absolutely everywhere. It's also home to the Fraternal Order of Eagles, a tavern which lets bikers stay in their "bike shack" for the night. The bike shack, along with half the fried chicken I had for dinner, made for a great evening. 

I stopped for lunch in Carbondale today, went to the bike shop, and I'm having Gertrude's bottom bracket relubed because man, has she been creaking. 
Tonight's goal is Goreville, IL (not the name of a town where I'd usually choose to spend the night). I got sick of how warm and stifling my bivy sack has gotten in these temperatures, and I ordered a marmot limelight 2 to be delivered there today. Let's hope it hasn't been delayed! 
Illinois is almost done already - about 60 miles from Goreville is the ferry that'll take me into Kentucky!

There's a very ominous cloud coming up above town, I hope it rains before I leave, as opposed to right as I leave!

Love,
Malcolm

Edit: So it turns out, I need to replace my chain and cassette along with relubing the bottom bracket. Also, FedEx doesn't ship to post offices, so the tent is being returned. Aaaaaaaaaah! I talked to a nice amazon lady, and she might be able to delay it a the nearest FedEx processing station long enough for me to ride (or more likely, catch a ride) to it and pick it up! If not, I might have to order another tent since this one will be getting returned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment