Monday, July 14, 2014

Super fun mountain time!

Hello from Colorado (or as I have been calling it, awful mountain land)
I am currenty sitting in the lovely Katie Racette's appartment in Avon (which is about 20 minutes from Vail). She was kind enough to pick me up from Silverthorne yesterday, and will drop me back off there tomorrow so I can tackle the highest pass on the trail (Hoosier Pass - 11,542'). It's all (mostly) downhill from there!

Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pictures of Wyoming (it was all too pretty and couldn't afford to stop every 5 minutes to take a picture), but here's a few more from the Tetons!
Finally figured out how to use the camera timer!


Swimming in Jenny Lake





Bye bye Wyoming!
 Oh man - did I mention I had my first downpour a few days ago? I thought Wyoming was bad for thunderstorms, but Colorado gave me a warm (wet and cold) welcome!
Coming down a pass, it started pouring. Being the stubborn person that I am, I decided it would be a good idea, instead of hiding under a tree, to tough it out (keep in mind I had 30 miles till the next town).
At first, it was a drizzle. Then it was a downpour. Then a thunderstorm. Then hail. It was great.
Biking in the rain is like playing in the mud - once you accept you're gonna get dirty (or wet) it's a great time.
Picture this: Malcolm, completely blind due to the raindrops covering his glasses, speeding down a dark deserted mountain road, belting "make a man out of you" at the top of his lungs, soaked to the skin as lightning strikes all around. I must have made quite the sight.
Anyways, after about 10 miles of this I started getting really cold, and the first cars I saw since the beginning of the storm pulled over and asked me if I wanted a ride. I gladly accepted, we threw the bike on the rood (getting a 70 pound bike + gear on a roof rack is no laughing matter, especially in a thunderstorm), and they drove me to near Granby, where the storm mercifully hadn't gotten to yet.
We chatted as we drove, and it turns out these fine gentlemen were out for a day of fly fishing. The one on the far right, John Lennon (you read that right) had actually just met Gertrude's designer (she's an AWOL by Specialized), and was super excited to see an AWOL in action! He also happens to be an Ironman (Lake Placid 3 years in a row, so I may see him yet if I decide to do it next year!).
My amazing saviors
 That night, I camped in Hot Sulpher Spring's city park, and met an amazing couple, Bob and Mary, from Wisconsin. Bob retired two years ago, and they have been touring the country in their RV since, settling down somewhere nice and warm for the winter. We had so much in common, hung out all night chatting, and they were kind enough to share their delicous dinner with me.
Bob, Packer, and Mary
Meeting genuine, kind people like Bob, Mary, and my earlier saviors remind me of why I'm doing this trip. Landscapes fade, but the people you meet stay with you forever. You get to meet people that you would usually never cross paths with. Genuine kindness is everywhere, people are amazing, have wonderful stories, life experiences, and gems of wisdom to share.

Anyways, got to go! I'm heading to the store to get Katie and her roommate Johanna a 6-pack and some flowers (shh, don't tell!)

Love,
Malcolm

PS: I love you even more if you actually read my gibberish!



No comments:

Post a Comment