Monday, July 7, 2014

Like No Place on Earth

Hello everyone, from Jackson Hole, Wyoming!

My friend Hunter just finished her NOLS Wilderness EMT course, and we decided to spend a few days together in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.
Hunter enjoying Grand Prismatic Spring
She also brought her laptop, which provides me with the opportunity to show you some cool stuff that I have seen so far!
To begin at the beginning: Andre and I drove to the Oregon coast to start my trip!
What a man
My first big hill was Mckenzie pass, which took me over the Cascades.
The Sisters
After a few days, I was desperately trying to find somewhere to sleep in Oregon, so I decided to sleep off the road near a historical covered wagon, which just happened to be an amazing place for a sunset.

Stealth ditch camping

Strawberry Mountain
Entering Idaho, Tommy and I camped besides the Snake River, which was peaceful and fun to jump in!


The next day, we were on a bike path for a while, and found a great camping spot where it intersected with the highway overhead.

In Riggins, the lovely Jillian Hanson decided to stop by and spend the night with us. We jumped in the Salmon. It was cold.

Thanks for the guest post!
 Past Riggins, the scenery got ridiculously beautiful. I had to snap a few pictures because one wasn't enough.




 Later in Idaho, past White Bird we took the old highway 95 and went up white bird hill, which offered a great view of the valley behind us.
 Past that, we went up the Lochsa river, suffered some mild dehydration (67 miles without services), and met Arlo (unfortunately not pictured).

 Near the border with Montana, we stayed behind the general store in Powell, a self-proclaimed hippy commune, with 7 other bikers! Everyone's rig was different, but this was my favorite.

 Fast forward a few days - Tommy spent an extra day in Missoula, and Arlo was taking his time to get to Wyoming, so I blasted forwards to Twin Bridges, Montana because I heard it had a dedicated biker-only free campground with showers, bathrooms, and outlets. It was a long day, (135 miles), but around mile 110 the wind and rain got absurd, I almost got blown off the road by a truck, and a nice couple gave me a lift. I met Joe and Jessica, two tourers that were also spending the night. Joe is taking a week off to do a short tour, and Jessica is soloing the transamerica, east to west!

 The night after that, I was around 40 miles from West Yellowstone and couldn't find any free camping spots, so I went on a national forest road up to a trailhead to stealth camp. The heat/fly combination made me take refuge in the bathroom, which was incredibly comfy, cozy, and insect-proof.
Here's to a memorable night, Papoose Creek bathroom.
 The next day Hunter and I met in West Yellowstone, camped somewhere in northern Idaho, got a backcountry pass for Yellowstone, hiked into and spent the night at Mallard Lake!


We're so pretty



We are currently sitting in Cowboy Coffee in Jackson, planning tonight and tomorrow (camping, canoeing on Jenny Lake, and then parting ways as I blast through Wyoming and into the great unknown (Colorado and the midwest).

Until next time,
Malcolm

2 comments:

  1. You guys are too cute :) Much love to you and Hunter. looks like you are having a blast!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete