Sunday, June 2, 2019

Exploring Vancouver

We decided to pick Vancouver as the beginning of our trip for a few reasons: 1) it's where the Adventure Cycling Association map we're using begins, 2) it lends dramatic international flair (a whopping 65km) to the trip, 3) I'd never been to Canada before, and most importantly, 4) it's all downhill from here.

We drove up from Boise Saturday morning in Kelly and Bob's (Hunter's parents) Subaru. Beautiful weather greeted us as we made our way west and then north, leaving the rolling hills of Idaho and Oregon behind, then the rain deserts of eastern Washington, up Snoqualmie pass, down into the verdant expanses of Northwestern Washington, and finally into Canada to Vancouver.

On the way, we listened to a couple great podcasts. I know no-one wants or needs more podcast recommendations, so I'll keep this list to one: Mothers of Invention, (tagline: climate change is a manmade problem - with a feminist solution!) highlights women doing amazing climate justice work around the world. I probably spend 70% of my time thinking about our current climate catastrophe, and it helps keep me motivated and inspired after reading yet another UN report/news article/paper about how screwed we are because greedy greedy mankind.

Kelly also read us an amazing article: relinquishing the patriarchy, by adrienne maree brown. I won't waste time summarizing it, because your time is much better spent just reading the primary source.

Once we got to Vancouver, we unpacked, moved our bikes into the airbnb, and set out to explore. Growing up in Belgium, it felt so natural to hear French, Flemish, English, and many other languages swirl around me when we'd go to Brussels, and whenever I leave Boise for a bigger, more international city, that part of me feels like a desert flower opening after the first drops of the rainy season. 

Vancouver is such a cool city! We took the light rail, had some tacos, and wandered about town before heading back home to rest.
Beautiful sunsets
Sunday mornig we got breakfast and headed to Stanley Park. Hunter and I decided to rent a tandem, and off we went, along the amazing multi-use path that circumscribes the park.

Woo!
Unsafe tandem selfie
Afterwards, we headed to the Vancouver aquarium, which was absolutely amazing! They rescue lots of animals, so we got to see a dolphin, otters and sea lions that all got brought in for various reasons. It was very cool. Also, jellyfish.
I love jellyfish.
There were also a lot of exhibits about microplastics. It boggles my mind how much plastic ends up in the oceans, from single use plastics, synthetic clothing, and many other parts of our daily life. But that's another post for a more depressing time. Right now, we're off to dinner, so I will stop rambling. Tomorrow is the big day, and I'm excited to start riding!

Love,
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment